Sunday, April 24, 2016

Take Me Out to the Ball Game

July 2011, I got tickets from a vendor for a Twins game. Bragging to the chef at work, I showed him the seats.

"You're taking me, right?" He said. I looked at him with a raised eyebrow.

"Actually, I don't know who I'm taking yet, I--" He cut me off.

"It's settled then. You're taking me. It will be a good bonding experience for us." I looked at him incredulously since he had literally just invited himself to the game. I'd only started working with him for two months, and was surprised he was so bold.

"Fine..." I muttered, snatching back the tickets. This should be interesting, I thought.

The day of the game, I was nervous. What would I even talk to this guy about? Plus, he is bossy... Is he going to boss me the whole day? What happened next ended up being not the awkward experience I thought, but the world's longest date in history.

We started as normal: hotdogs, nachos and soda. He showed me Kramarczuk's polish sausages and explained their local story to me. From there, we went to the organ player and took a picture with her.

Then, I ran into Dan Edwards, a media producer who I used to intern with, who let us sing "Take me out to the ball game" on the jumbotrom during the 7th inning stretch. We ran into our boss who was oddly suspicious we had just been singing on said jumbotrom, but he had had some adult beverages, so we made our escape.

After the game, we ran into an old friend of mine on Hennepin by the 508 bar. They were doing a Bombay Sapphire Bartender Mixology competition. We got a set of cool knives that Chris still carries in his chef set at work.

Then, we went out to dinner at one of my old hotels, and one of the chefs made an awesome 6 course meal for us with scallops and pork belly. Finally, 10 hours later, he dropped me off at home.

As I got out of the car, I laughed, "I'm glad you invited yourself to the game." He laughed too. Little did we know we would be married two and a half years later.

So, today we celebrate our 6 month anniversary by again getting some tickets from a vendor, pigging out on polish sausage and singing during the 7th inning stretch (no jumbotrom today, though). Joining us was his daughter, and we celebrated being a family as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment