Monday, June 20, 2011

John 1: Crista and Robyn and a reaction to a break up

I watch Crista stretch her legs next to me, she listening silently to Robyn as Robyn reads from her bible.  Thought provoked, inspired, passionate, Robyn reads this simple passage.

"1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome[a] it."


My eyes travel from the pink underwear strewn in the open closet, the pic of my ex pinned next to our joint mirror (can you have an actual ex when you're in 9th grade?) and finally to the Gap Suntan lotion lying haphazardly across the bed.  Finally my eyes rest on Robyn.  The straps of her tank top are hanging off of her shoulders, her back is hunched and moving ever so slightly as she breathes into this bible that holds all her answers.  


This moment, it is frozen, surreal.  Our room, it's messiness, its abstract cleanliness, it is "us"... it speaks "us".  As we sat last night talking of God, our beliefs, I see these two beautiful girls.... I feel for once I am on the outside inside looking out now as she reads from this simple passage.



No comments:

Post a Comment